Lalbaug Ka Raja, Mumbai
The Mandal, formerly known as ‘Sarvajanik Ganeshotsav Mandal, Lalbaug’ was founded in the year 1928, because of a vow (Navas) for construction of the present Lalbaug Market at its existing place. The market place at Peru Chawl was shut down in 1932. Hence, the fishermen and vendors who used to sit in the open place vowed to Lord Ganesh for permanent place for their market. With the consistent efforts & support of the then local Councillor-Late Shri. Kuwarji Jethabhai Shah, Dr. V. B. Korgaonkar, Shri.Nakhawa Kokam Mama, Bhausaheb Shinde, Dr.U.A. Rao and the local residents, the landlord Rajabai Tayyabali agreed to give a plot for construction of a market. As fulfillment of their wish, the fisherman and the traders established the Ganesh Idol on 12.09.1934. The idol was dressed in the customary fashion of fisherman. Since that day onwards, this Lord Ganesh has become popular as it fulfills the wishes of devotees. The Mandal was formed in the era when the freedom struggle was at its peak. More information is available on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lalbaug
A complete list of all the photographs of Lalbaug Ka Raja is available here.